• flash-1.jpg
  • flash-1a.jpg
  • flash-2a.jpg
  • flash-3a.jpg
  • flash-4a.jpg
  • flash-5a.jpg

HISTORY OF THE JMJ SOCIETY IN TANZANIA –EAST AFRICA


In the year 1959 at the request of Mgr. Blomijous the bishop of S'Hertogenbosch and influenced by the Dutch white Fathers, another mission station was to see the light of the day as the plan of God. The JMJs ventured to enter the Dark Continent – Africa. The country chosen was Tanzania, East Africa. Seeing the mixed population of the country especially of the great many Indians, the Bishop made a special request to our Society to send at least two Indian Sisters to Tanzania. Sisters Lawrence Guvvala and Lucy Chiramel were selected and sent with other seven Dutch sisters to Tanzania in 1960 as pioneers for educational and medical services.
Later on due to the trend of nationalization and the exodus of the foreigners from Tanzania influenced our Society to call the Sisters back to Holland and India. The missions were handed over to the native congregations in 1975, leaving them all the assets, so that the good work begun by us could be continued for the benefit of the people.